Re: Personal Contamination Goals

Just as important as you metric is the threshold you use for a "personal skin and clothing contamination," and whether the contamination is "planned" or inadvertent.  Let me explain:

1.  There is no standard threshold for reporting a personal contamination.  Some plants report anything detectable, while some only report those over a specified threshold.  This makes a big difference in the number of reported events.

2.  Many contamination events are planned, or, at least, result from an assumed risk.  For some jobs a respirator is not worn in an airborne radioactivity area, to reduce TEDE, or less than ideal protective clothing is worn to avoid heat stress or other industrial safety concerns.  The personal
contamination events resulting from this are accepted from a risk versus benefit perspective.  These should not be taken as an indication of poor radiological controls.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com