Re: Sweden to examine health risks of burning biomass -Cs-137 Pathways

Stewart,
     Did you happen to get some numbers for the Cs137 levels in the SOIL in
the areas you studied?  The number you quote is high but relative to what?
With TF's ranging from .0056 to .21 for Cs in soil to the plant (Nisbet /
Woodman, Health Physics Vol.78, No. 3) you need some real soil levels to
determine if this could be a problem.  There is lots of Radium (and other)
contamination in fly ash but we use it on roads and in concrete all over
the country.  Its just a question of final concentration.

Philip Barringer
fyrestyrm@aol.com

"My opinions, not the States"

SWEDEN: December 6, 2000

STOCKHOLM - Sweden's National Energy Administration said on Tuesday it was
investing 30 million crowns ($3 million) in a project to examine the health
risks from burning biomass..........>>

COMMENT ON THIS STUDY:

Woodash from northern Vermont was found to contain about 15,000 pCi of
Cs-137
per kg of ash in a study I conducted of fallout in woodash in 1990, which
was
presented to an annual meeting of the HPS . ["Nationwide Survey of Cs-137
in
Wood Ash --Or Woodburner's and Organic Farmers, Is it Time to Kiss Your Ash
Goodbye?, Washington, DC, HPS 1991 Annual Meeting, Washington, DC]

Stewart Farber