Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ruth_weiner <ruth_weiner@email.msn.com>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Mittwoch, 06. Dezember 2000 23:23
Betreff: Re: Deaths from fossil fuel burning air pollution

>What is questioned is the relationship of air pollutant concentration  to
>deaths (and "prospective deaths" whatever they are), which seems to apply
>similar fuzzy reasoning to the latent cancer fatalities projected from
>accumulated exposure to very small amounts of ionizing radiation.  Just as
>we don't countenance anti-nuke exaggerations just because Greenpeace does
>them in Europe as well as in the US, the claim of 40,000 European deaths is
>no more nor less open to question than the claim of 60,000 US deaths.

I have not followed this thread, but for me it seems that calculating
numbers of deaths or potential deaths becomes a kind of a "play" and the
"winner" is who predicts the highest numbers, because he gets most attention
by the media!!! Nuclear power is obviously no exemption from the rule. But
to use calculated deaths from pollution versus calculated deaths from the
use of nuclear power for arguments pro nuclear is disgusting. Do we really
need such arguments?

Franz

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20001206T224616Z
END:VCARD