Re: Three mile island syndrome

In answer to your question regarding convincing people of Nuclear Power's
positive side, see the book "The Dynamics of Technical Controversy."  I think
the author was Maher (I lent my copy and am not sure).  His thought is: When
a controversy boils down to a pro technology side versus an anti technology
side, the motivated anti's will usually win the battle for public opinion.
Especially when the technology is very complex and not easily understood by
the public.  The reason is the technologists, by their nature, are not
equipped to resort to the sort of emotional appeals of the motivated anti's.
Pro's talk about projected (or in the case of Southern California, current)
energy needs and anti's get on the evening news screaming about your children
mutating while dressed in a skeleton suit and throwing blood on the utility's
headquarters building.

Roland Hanson