Re: Sequoyah plant HEU fuel assembly leak

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Fritz Strydom <FStrydom@nacintl.com>
An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Datum: Donnerstag, 07. Dezember 2000 20:24
Betreff: Sequoyah plant HEU fuel assembly leak

>I found a news brief regarding the testing of a fuel assembly containing
>downblended HEU at TVA's Sequoyah plant.  The news clip mentioned that it
>was a setback to the HEU program because the fuel assembly leaked.

"The news clip mentioned......." and the scientists and RADSAFErs have to
set out to verify if this information of a news agency is right or not. This
is a marvelous description of the battle of defence the scientific community
is currently involved into.  Any nonsense can be distributed within a few
minutes to public channels which eagerly await it and the scientific
community spends hours and days, months and years to demonstrate that the
nonsense is not justified - and nobody will believe them and nobody will
publish the results, because they are outdated! Additional news have been
spread about the danger of..... the risk of..... the .............

I am not able to imagine a strategy to counter these "news" without
vulnerating my belief in science, in democracy, in the liberty to express
personal views etc. etc. etc. It seems that nobody else is able to do this.
"Educating people" seems to have failed. Any suggestions?

Franz

Does
>anyone have any additional information about this?  I'm looking for an
>actual article.  The news clip mentioned their source as Reuters from
>12/6/00 but I have not been able to locate an article.  Thank you.
>---------------------------------------
>Johannes "Fritz" Strydom
>Deputy Manager, Consulting
>NAC International
>(678) 328-1258 (678) 328-1458 fax
>fstrydom@nacintl.com
>http://www.1nuclearplace.com/
>--=_alternative 006A503E852569AE_=

testing of a fuel assembly containing downblended HEU at TVA's Sequoyah
plant. &nbsp;The news clip mentioned that it was a setback to the HEU
program because the fuel assembly leaked. &nbsp;Does anyone have any
additional information about this? &nbsp;I'm looking for an actual article.
&nbsp;The news clip mentioned their source as Reuters from 12/6/00 but I
have not been able to locate an article. &nbsp;Thank you. <br>
Roman">---------------------------------------</font>
Strydom<br>
>Deputy Manager, Consulting<br>
>NAC International<br>
>(678) 328-1258 (678) 328-1458 fax</font><font size=3 color=blue face="Times
New Roman"><u><br>
></u></font><a href=mailto:fstrydom@nacintl.com><font size=3 color=blue
color=blue face="Times New Roman"><u><br>
>--=_alternative 006A503E852569AE_=--

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schoenhofer;Franz
FN:Franz Schoenhofer
ORG:Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management, Department of Radiation Protection
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+43-1-71100-4458
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+43-1-495 53 08
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+43-699-116 813 19
TEL;WORK;FAX:+43-1-7122331
TEL;HOME;FAX:+43-1-495 53 08
ADR;WORK:;;Radetzkystr. 2;A-1031 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Radetzkystr. 2=0D=0AA-1031 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
ADR;HOME:;;Habicherg. 31/7;A-1160 Vienna;;;Austria
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Habicherg. 31/7=0D=0AA-1160 Vienna=0D=0AAustria
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:franz.schoenhofer@chello.at
REV:20001207T195331Z
END:VCARD