From: Thomas J Savin <tjsav@lycos.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thursday, December 07, 2000 7:38 AM
Subject: Three mile island syndrome

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Here is the ATSDR's action dealing with Psychological Responses to Toxic
Contamination.  The responses of people to Three Mile Island are
highlighted.

>This shows me two things:
>
>1. (We already know this) The power of the press and how people react and
are affected.

>2.  That when I think of it, it seems that the agencies that are empowered
to protect "us" are really the agencies that are making us scared,
depressed, up in arms.....etc.  through there press releases, public
relations and just general philosophies (like EPA trying to regulate the
growing of hi-yield bio-tech corn????!!!!! WHAT?!There is no connection!
see cnn.com either in food or health.)

>The ATSDR site of interest is http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HEC/v10n1-1.htlm
>
>What do you think?
>
>One more thought - I do not have the answer to: How do we convence people
that nuclear power has a positive side?  I know at one time, in 1964 @ the
New York's World's Fair, they were irradiating dimes and placing them in a
holder and giving them to the tourist