From: Thomas J Savin <tjsav@lycos.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Friday, December 08, 2000 7:23 AM
Subject: Re: Three mile island syndrome

>I think you have it wrong (of course this will not convince you, please
laugh). I see the problem as one where most people are "sold" on an idea.
Case in point Procter and Gamble spends over a billion $ a year in
advertising (I live in Cincinnati), do you think that the majority of people
are willing to become educated on their products?  The answer is no - please
don't squeeze the Charmin - the majority of people "buy" because they
remember something catchy. As Ronald Hanson said in his recent post (I'm
paraphrasing) people remember dead bloody skeletons being thrown off a roof!
He is correct - this is why people need to be re-educated about the benefits
of nuclear power - like it was in the 1960's when it was seen as a clean
energy source - which it obviously can be.

>One other point, nuclear waste is NOT a problem - it only is because that
it is perceived to be.  What came from the ground can go back in the ground.
It really is that simple - not complicated, as we are being convinced.