Re: Deaths or What?

Again I ask, deaths as opposed to what?
IMO, the term "deaths" is a lousy way to express the stochastic effect of  exposure to any harmful agent
(i.e. where the exposure affects the probability for occurrence of the effect).

Sooner or later, everybody dies. The only question is when and how does death occur.

On the question of when, effects could be expressed in terms of changed life-expectancy. However, loss of a few hours or days from predicted life expectancies of ~ 70 years would have a much lower semantic impact. For example, in the USA about 2 million people die each year. If some given harmful exposure were to add 20 deaths/yr. to this figure, the equivalent effect could be expressed as loss of about 10 hours in life-expectancy.
 I think it makes a big difference on which way you want to look at it.

On the question of how, suppose the effect we want to avoid is cancer death. It should be noted that increase in the incidence in any given cause of death will necessarily decrease incidence of other causes. Given that we want to minimize occurrence of cancer deaths, perhaps we should stop research on methods of reducing heart disease, the leading cause of death. Obviously, if we were to succeed in preventing all heart disease, the incidence of cancer deaths would dramatically increase. Conversely, if heart related death increases, cancer death would decrease.

Considering all of this, I am not sure what the best way of quantitatively expressing  the effect of harmful exposures should be. I am sure that how it is expressed has a strong impact on the perception of the problem. Anyone have any good ideas on the subject???

at http://www.ehs.uiuc.edu/~rad/radsafe.html