Years Later, Chernobyl Still Casts a Poisonous Shadow

Years Later, Chernobyl Still Casts a Poisonous Shadow
Ukranian Government Will Close Reactor on Friday

By EFREM LUKATSKY
The Associated Press

CHERNOBYL, Ukraine (Dec. 10) - My friend Yaryna has never
been to Chernobyl, but it's had a bigger impact on her young life
than any place she's managed to visit.

Yaryna, who's 21, suffers from thyroid cancer that doctors say is
an aftereffect of the 1986 explosion and fire at the nuclear power
plant at Chernobyl. She was operated on recently, just a few days
before I went to the plant for a last visit ahead of its scheduled
shutdown this Friday.

There is no need to travel to Chernobyl, 90 miles north of Kiev, to
suffer from it. More than 14 years after the disaster, people living on
the land that was swept by a cloud of radioactive fallout are
Chernobyl's hostages.

Every day, Ukrainians worry about the air we breathe, the water we
drink, the food we eat - and how it will affect not only us, but those
who come after us.

The April 26, 1986, explosion that ripped through Chernobyl's
reactor No. 4 spewed a huge radioactive cloud over Europe. The
then-Soviet republics of Ukraine and Belarus were the most
affected, and they continue to bear the deepest scars.

For me, along with millions of other Ukrainians, the Chernobyl
catastrophe has become a part of everyday life. And as the
radiation claims more victims among friends, the tragedy isn't
fading - it's getting ever closer.

Statistics tell part of the story. In Ukraine alone, at least 4,365
people have died of radiation-related diseases contracted after
taking part in the cleanup effort organized by the Soviet government
after the explosion. That's just a fraction of the overall toll among an
estimated 650,000 ''liquidators'' who came from all over the Soviet
Union.

In all, about 3.4 million of Ukraine's 50 million people, including
nearly 1.3 million children, were exposed to radiation from the
disaster.

Thyroid glands attract radiation, and thyroid cancer is gradually
claiming victims. While no cases were registered in Ukraine in
1981-85, 1,217 people who like Yaryna were children or
adolescents at the time of the explosion were operated on for
thyroid cancer in 1986-99.

According to Ukrainian government figures, 70,000 people in
Ukraine alone have been disabled by radiation.

The no-entry zone around the Chernobyl plant covers 1,040 square
miles of the most poisoned land on Earth. About 120,000 people
used to live in the 90 villages within the then-flourishing region. Now
it is a high-security zone behind coiled razor wire, protected by
some 800 guards. No one can enter without special permission.

The biggest town in the zone is Pripyat, which once housed the
Chernobyl workers. In 1986, it had a population of 48,000 - mostly
young families who had come from all over the Soviet Union.

The fire could be seen clearly from the windows of the town's
apartment towers, but Soviet authorities didn't bother to alert
residents to the danger hanging in the air. As the fire burned three
miles away, people went about their preparations for the May Day
holiday - a Soviet-era occasion for picnics and long meals
punctuated by toasts over vodka.

Pripyat was evacuated 36 hours after the explosion, three days
before May Day. People left in a hurry.

Today, yellowed newspapers with May Day slogans still blow about
the town. Limbless dolls and other discarded toys litter the cots
where children in day-care centers used to take their daily naps.
Someone left behind gas masks.

The surrounding district was once one of the most picturesque
regions in Ukraine, and the beauty can still be seen in the rich pine
and birch forests, full of berries and mushrooms. Wolves, boars
and elk prowl the woods, while huge catfish swim the rivers -
doomed by the plutonium and cesium that are lodged in their
organs.

Scientists have found unusual mutations in mice in the area. Pine
saplings have sprouted sickly brown branches, a sign of
morphological change resulting from radiation.

Several spots inside the exclusion zone are particularly dangerous:
As I approached them, the Geiger counter emitted high-pitched
whines and showed a radiation level dozens of times higher than
the safe upper limit.

Among them is a sprawling graveyard for abandoned equipment -
1,350 vehicles that were irradiated during the cleanup operation.
There's row upon row of red-starred military helicopters, armored
vehicles, tanks, trucks, bulldozers, fire engines and ambulances.

I thought of the people who used to work on these vehicles. Some
of them worked for only about 20 minutes shoveling radioactive
debris. All the same, many have died of radiation poisoning.

The most dangerous spot is the huge gray sarcophagus that
entombs the ruined No. 4 reactor. Slapped together hastily after
the explosion, it's a monstrous construction: 700,000 metric tons
of rust-streaked steel and 400,000 tons of concrete that cover an
unknown amount of nuclear fuel.

The radiation level inside is so high that plant employees, most of
whom are prohibited from entering the structure, joke that it's the
biggest microwave in the world.

Despite the danger, I jumped at a chance to tour inside the
sarcophagus. Only a handful of journalists had ever been inside,
and there has been very little information on what is going on inside
the structure. I considered it my professional duty to go there,
particularly now that the final operating reactor at the plant is
scheduled to be shut down for good.

I signed disclaimer forms and put on two layers of thick white
cotton clothes, protective rubber boots, special hats and a helmet,
padded jackets, gloves and a mask for my face. My guide, Artur
Korneyev, recommended I be very careful with my camera and be
sure not to touch anything with it - otherwise I'd have to leave it
forever inside the sarcophagus.

I put a fresh roll in, covered my camera with plastic as thoroughly
as I could, and followed him through high-security checkpoints into
the sarcophagus.

Some 100 yards inside, our Geiger counters showed a radiation
level 600 times the normal background level for non-irradiated site. I
tried not to take any deep breaths as we weaved our way through
dark passages filled with broken concrete beams and other
wreckage. Finally, we reached the old control room, long and
poorly lighted, with its damaged machinery.

This was the place where it all happened at 1:23 a.m. on April 26,
1986, as Soviet engineers began testing a rapid-intervention safety
system. They threw a power switch, and the explosion followed
immediately.

The switch they used has disappeared, as have numerous other
buttons. Souvenir-hunters stole them, leaving holes in the control
panel.

We bent our heads to get through the dark, narrow labyrinth of
passages leading to the center of the sarcophagus. The walls are
covered with lead plates intended to decrease radiation levels, and
the floors hold piles of lead and boron powder dropped by
helicopters in an attempt to suppress the nuclear reaction.

I stole a glance at my Geiger counter, which registered about
80,000 microroentgens an hour - 16,000 times the safe limit.

The beam of my guide's flashlight picked up the sparkle of dust
slowly whirling around us, and suddenly there were second
thoughts:
''What the hell am I doing here? I know I can't make a hit picture,
whose action or beauty will be appreciated afterward. If just a
speck of radioactive dust were to enter my body, it could kill me.''

I took a long, hot shower as soon as I got out of the sarcophagus.
When I got home, I tore off my overcoat and boots, unscrewed my
lens filter, threw it all in a garbage bag and carried it to a rubbish
heap before entering my apartment.

After my visit, colleagues told me I was crazy to have gone inside. I
don't think so. It is an important story for Ukraine and elsewhere.

The danger Chernobyl poses to humanity is the reason Western
governments and environmentalists pressured Ukraine for years to
close the power plant, and the government finally agreed.

That won't put the danger to rest. The zone will be off limits for
ages because of its contamination.

EDITOR'S NOTE - Associated Press photographer Efrem Lukatsky
has visited the Chernobyl power plant dozens of times since a
1986 reactor explosion caused the world's worst nuclear accident.
On his latest trip, shortly before the plant's scheduled closing this
week, he got a rare look inside the concrete shell covering the
wrecked reactor. He reflects on the catastrophe that continues to
haunt him and his nation.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net