Re: Years Later, Chernobyl Still Casts a Poisonous Shadow

What a lot of these articles miss is the fact that prior to the accident, no
one was looking for such things as thyroid cancers and misfunctioning
thryoids.  The medical infrastructure out in the countryside was in not
there.  In addition, the food in the Ukraine and in Bellorussia is low in
iodine which contributes to a high thryroid problem rate.  And then there
are those who are using such things for other purposes, such as the Ukraine
government using the high numbers to get the international community to give
them more money.  Incidentally, I found parts of the article to be somewhat
exagerated.  I will confess though, that although I didn't see any 15 year
old newspapers when I visited Pripyat, it was very depressing to see an
entire town just abandoned.