Re: We are killing nuclear workers!

I believe if anyone scratches the surface of any of the suits against DOE
(et. al.) you will find an insurance company prodding the way.  Just as it
is and was with tobacco and will be with alcohol.  Insurance companies
don't want to or won't pay out on such hard to quantify risk factors.  They
play with peoples emotions and wallets.  "uncle Joe is in the hospital with
cancer and we can't pay the bills!  What will we do?  The insurance won't
cover anymore because this cancer was "lifestyle" induced. (believe it!)
Ooh, wait!  Uncle Joe worked at a government nuclear facility, radiation
causes cancer, everybody knows that.  Lets sue the government for not
telling anyone that this could happen"  Never mind that Uncle Joe WAS told
and that he WAS given all the protection believed necessary at the time.
Never mind that NOBODY held a gun to his head and said "Build those bomb
cores!"  They have the deep pockets and they will pay!!  It just steams me
to see the DOE cutting its own throat (not mention the rest of the industry
as well) by such rotten hand bitting.  As Glenn said, the programs were in
place and were the best they could be with the technology of the day.  Do
we sue Sears if you smash your finger with a Craftsman hammer?  The tool is
made the best that it can be and still do the job.  There are risks
associated with its use and the user should accept them before he picks it
up.  It is the same with any industry.  If you don't know or understand all
the risks involved with your job, ASK!  If you don't get a satisfactory
answer, or you are unwilling to accept the risks, DON'T DO THE JOB!  Be
adult and take responsibility.

(Oops, my soapbox slipped out...)

Sorry for the tirade, but I feel better now.

"Always my own opinions and never those of the folks I work for (at least
not officially).

Philip Barringer
fyrestyrm@aol.com

Having worked with the three enrichment plants in the DOE community, I can
say
there was, is and will be a radiation safety program in place for the
workers.  As
in all things governmental, it was conceived by the government, funded by
the
government, blessed by the government, and now exposed as inadequate by the
government.  Granted, contractors implemented the program, and as in any
endeavor,
there was (and is) room for improvement.  But a program did exist.

On the other hand, throwing small sums of money to individuals directly
affected
by plant operations, will not reduce suffering from illnesses, nor will it
comfort
the families of those that suffered in the past.

This is purely a political move to create a legacy by the current
administration.

Glenn Murphy