Re: Request for suggestion

Bernie,
Nuclear power , coal fired power, oil fired power, and gas fired power are
all owned by the same utilities who have powerful lobbyists in our capital.
The utilities are primarily interested in making a profit.  California is an
excellent example of deregulated electricity resulting in escalating prices,
artificially produced brown outs and artificially escalated natural gas
prices.  Is it any wonder that consumers don't trust utilities and/or our
government to protect their interests?

Japan has a shortage of fossil fuels and consequently the government is
actively pro nuclear, but the populace still expresses distrust.  Japan has
made a tremendous effort to be candid with the populace, but most news there
and here in the US is negative because it is more dramatic and eye catching
to the reader or viewer.

I am certain you are aware there was a concerted effort after the TMI
accident to educate reporters which resulted in limited sucess.  Many
reporters are not interested in presenting boring facts or positive news
because they are not sensational enough for headlines.

As professional health physicists we are divided in our opinions over trivial
arguements such as linear vs threshold theory.  We see an NRC inspector with
35 mrem lifetime dose and a masters degree in health physics sue and get an
enormous settlement from a utility, while the past president of the Health
Physics society's testimony is ridiculed.

I have been in the nuclear business since 1965 and I have watched the rise
and fall of popularity of nuclear power.  I don't like to pedict doom and
gloom, but unless there is a national policy endorsing nuclear power and a
limit to utility liability combined with a strong profit motive I don't
predict a change in opinion.

Best of luck,

Doug Turner <DTu7266800@aol.com>