Bill Richardson and California Electriciy Problems.

[Vickers, Glen]  Read the article behind my shallow comments...

> Energy Secretary Richardson is causing others to subsidize energy prices
> in
> California, when the rest of the country must pay their fair share.  The
> utilities in the region got the short end of the deal when they were
> limited
> to what they could charge the customer, but were denied the ability to
> recover costs due to increases in wholesale prices.
>
> Is California the only state in which such ridiculous utility legislation
> be
> passed?
>
> Should state legislated stupidity on such a grand scale be a good case for
>
> the federal courts?
>
> Will they meltdown the Northwest transmission lines like they did before?
>
> Where was the guiding wisdom of the Clinton administration during the
> dereg
> process?
>
> There are enough problems in the world, it's just really disappointing
> when
> the state of California thought long and hard and made a concious decision
> create a new one.  How many of us spend time at work fixing problems
> created
> by others?
>
> I really feel for those who work for the struggling utilities in
> California.
> Hopefully they'll survive and I'm not just talking about their 4th qtr
> earnings projections.
>
> Glen Vickers
> Nuclear Power HP

[Vickers, Glen]

> [...]
> demanding cash before selling power to California, Kellan Fluckiger, the
> ISO's chief operating officer, said Wednesday.
>
> ``The credit limits of utilities and what markets are willing to sell us
> have
> been reached and surpassed in many cases,'' Fluckiger said. ``There are
> questions about utility solvency. That has come to a head today.''
>
> He said officials may have to interrupt power to as many as 4 million
> customers Wednesday afternoon and early evening, when people come home
> from
> work and power demand hits a peak.
>
> An unprecedented Stage 3 emergency was issued last Thursday, meaning
> reserves
> had fallen below 1.5 percent. But the state fended off rolling outages by
> turning off two power-sucking water pumps.
>
> This time, Fluckiger said any blackouts would probably last about an hour
> 90 minutes and occur mostly in Northern California.
>
> ``It's a fairly bleak picture,'' he said. ``This thing will not change
> unless
> something is done to alleviate the credit situation.''
>
> A Stage 2 alert was declared Wednesday afternoon, meaning power reserves
> fell
> below 5 percent and large commercial customers could be asked to reduce
> power
> consumption. A Stage 1 alert was declared Wednesday morning, meaning power
>
> reserves were below 7 percent and all power users are asked to conserve.
>
> Stage 1 and Stage 2 emergencies have become routine this month, but last
> Thursday's Stage 3 was the only time the threat of blackouts loomed.
>
> Contributing to the problem is a shortage of water to power hydroelectric
> generators in the Northwest and California, Fluckiger said.
>
> ``We have reservoirs so low that we have people standing by them watching
> the
> situation to make sure it does not go below safe limits,'' he said.
>
> The power crunch over the past few months has been blamed in part on
> electricity deregulation. California approved a phased-in deregulation of
> the
> electricity market in 1996 to try to lower prices for consumers through
> competition, but so far it has led to higher energy prices.
>
> At the same time, wholesale power costs have been soaring, in large part
> because of skyrocketing prices for natural gas. Wall Street is worried
> about
> utilities' financial health, and on Tuesday, a consumer group urged the
> state
> to seize and run the strapped $20 billion electricity system.
>
> AP-NY-12-13-00 1906EST
>
> Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP
> news
> report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed
>
> without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corp. proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the  Exelon Corp. family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and
any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.