RE: Bill Richardson and California Electricity Problems.

I think this issue is of some interest to Radsafe

Utilities are starting to venture into a new world.  Relatively speaking,
they will no longer be protected by and in other ways not limited by state
utility commissions.  Some utilities have opted to get out of the generation
business either because they were afraid they could not meet the challenge
or they mayh have been forced by their dereg committments.  Those who are
staring competition in the face know about staff reductions, reduced outage
durations, and other cost cutting measures, all while improving the quality
of the site HP program.

When it is all said and done, the increase in capacity factor (reduced
outage duration) in US nuclear power plants is primarily driven by the
desire to survive economically.  Power plants only make money when the
turbine is spinning...  Some utility outages have reduced their duration as
much as 50% in the last two years.  Outages of reduced duration and staffing
mean the HP program must exercise better planning, have contingency plans in
place, and exercise near-perfect decision making.  There is no longer any
time to "MacGyver" a plan when something goes wrong, the action levels and
contingency plans have to already be there.  Rework costs too much money and
there is very little tolerance of error in the nuclear power community.

In the last couple of years, a couple of plants were sold for pennies on the
dollar.  It seems clear that there is money to be made by taking an
under-performing plant and bringing it up to where it was designed to be, so
used plant prices are on the increase.  I believe there is a plant now where
the state decided not to accept the original offer on the plant, and now
wants to auction it off among several utilities now that they see they can
make some money.

If you're looking for a challenging environment, now is the time to get into
nuclear power.  Who knows, I may or may not have a job in the future due to
some consolidation or lay off, but my daily list of things to do on my
Franklin planner runneth over and gives some twisted sort of meaning to my
existence.  I'm sure many of you could say the same thing.  We're asked to
be a little smarter and quicker each day.

Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@exeloncorp.com