RE: NIST Traceable Am-241 Alpha Particle Calibration Standards

         Glen/Eric,

         I read and deleted this message and then later on started thinking
about it.

         "IMHO", $700 - $900 for the source below is a rip-off (another
4-letter "r" word comes to mind as well).  IPL "knows" that they have no
competition, so they figure they've "got you"....  Too bad your requirement
is that it has to be NIST traceable Eric (or does it?) - You can still get
Am-241 sources from smoke detectors - the one in my office says 5 uCi's
right on the label (a little higher than you want) and would probably cost
$10 at "Wallymart".  Yes, I know that you may loose your exemption(s) when
it is removed from the detector, but hey look at the savings...

         Just my 2 cents,

         Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
         SSC-SD