U.S. west power shortage

Off-topic reflection:
It was with interest that I read through the contributions about the power
shortage in the U.S. PNW & Calif. area, around Dec. 15 (thanks everyone!).
A few questions: Is there anything parallel in the NE area? What about the
deep south - does Mississippi-Louisiana for instance manage the cold (past
days for instance) without capacity problems? And finally a more strategic
question: What about the educational system in terms of nuclear physics,
nuclear chemistry, nuclear engineering etc (I got an impression that there
has been a decay of the university knowledge pool as compared to 20-30 years
ago - please correct me if I am wrong - if correct - we - who are not
totally decayed or fossilized yet should perhaps do something about it)? Is
there any potential for a new wave of NPPs? (currently providing about 23 %
of the U.S. electricity demand)

Please respond directly unless there is a more direct relation to the
subject of radiology. Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com
PS. BTW - we already buy - on a household basis - electricity from
individual companies.