Re: Scam stuff - hoax - sort of

With all respect to Bill, this warning message is a really an internet hoax,
based on a real scam. The hoax part is that there are errors in the message.
Scam Busters denies sending this message out (see web site below), and
suggest it not be forwarded.

Granted, some 809 area code numbers can have "pay for use charge", as can
other area codes... but the max would be about $25 per minute, not $2400.
Not all 809 calls are scam related, being that is the area code for the
Dominican Republic. To get the whole scoop on this, please read:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScams.shtml#809
http://www.scambusters.org/809Scam.html
http://www.bbb.org/alerts/areacode.asp
http://newscenter.verizon.com/kit/servicestandard/scams.vtml?

Basically, you should not call anyone you do not know, period. If someone is
paging you, it is probably someone you know or at least you should know
where the page is from. If its important, they will call back! And do not
call phone numbers for "free stuff" or enter contests. Nothing is free,
except advise and you get what you pay for.

Bruce

--

Bruce Busby
RSO, Genentech