RE:Am-241 License Requirements

At 04:51 PM 12/21/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anybody know why there are no values for Am-241 in Schedules A and B of
>10CFR30?

David W. Lee and myself have been working on a paper related to byproduct
material and its regulation (e.g. a comprehensive evolution of 10 CFR 30,
beginning with the Atomic Energy Act of 1946, is included). Two items of
possible interest (excerpts from our paper):

1) In 33 FR 11414, August 10, 1968, the AEC formally proposes an amendment
“which would exempt from licensing requirements the receipt, possession,
use, transfer, ownership, or acquisition of small quantities of byproduct
material and would revoke the general license for small quantities of
byproduct material currently set forth in 31.4 and 31.100, Schedule A 10,
CFR Part 31.”  Concurrently with this notice, the AEC published proposed
amendments to 10 CFR 20 to “conform the byproduct material portions of
Appendix C, 10 CFR Part 20, to the quantities proposed for exemption in
30.18 and 30.71, Schedule B, 10 CFR Part 30, to add americium-241, and to
change certain other quantities listed in Appendix C.”

2) In 35 FR 6427, April 22, 1970, “Am-241, while not included in 30.71,
Schedule B, would be added to Appendix C, Part 20…” The AEC announces the
exemption of small quantities of byproduct material.

Note that "FR" stands for Federal Register--our reference for this material.

If this material is of interest, be aware that we're working on the paper's
completion as time permits. I'll have to look over my references in more
detail to see if americium is mentioned elsewhere...

Happy Holidays,
Erik