RE: Request for suggestion-"The cig-rem is reborn"

Ultimately, this is a risk assessment issue and the general public does not
"risk assess" as a scientist does.  It is often difficult for scientists to
speak to those "outside the science" in terms they can relate to.  To
accomplish the translation effectively, one must find some common point of
reference. At least in my mind, this is the real crux of the issue as posed
in the original communication of this thread.

Many years ago, I remember reading in the HPS Newsletter an article or
letter referencing a new dose equivalent unit, called the cig-rem.  This
unit of radiation exposure produced the same cancer risk as smoking one
"cig"arette.  Derivations would be pack-rem (a pack), cart-rem (a carton),
truck-rem (a pickup truck bed), trailer-rem (tractor trailor), etc. (you get
the drift)<wink>.  Dose rates would be cig-rem/hour, per day, per week, etc.
At the time, I was learning radiation protection "on the job", reading every
ICRP document I could find and this was one of the most helpful analogies to
me, so influencing me that it left into my mind today, some 20 years later.
Granted much of the article was presented in fun, but given the TMI hysteria
of the time, it was something many of my non-technical friends could relate
to.

A search at www.google.com using "cig rem cancer" produced a link to an
article from 1972 referencing a similar unit, the "cig" to be used in
performing risk assessment.
(click on http://www.sunflower.com/~dewatson/!lrl3.html)

Given the rise of the various tobacco and anti-tobacco factions, it would
seem that adaptation and wide-spread usage of such a term by the scientific
community could go a long way towards communicating to the general public
how to come to grips with the various technologies and risk/benefit analysis
needed.  Even the politicians might be able to relate, but I digress.

While I have been out of the radiation protection industry for 5 or so
years, I want to thank Sandy Perle and the subscribers for this forum that
allows me to stay up to date on many of these issues that are still of
interest to me.

Happy holidays.