Radioprotection of plants & animals

I have read a draft report that deals with radioprotection of other species.
It is easy to reject all this as "crazy" and stop right here but I think
that it is time to look at what's going on. After all people in more than 20
countries are involved already. It is time to sort out the central issues
and ask questions.

The first and most fundamental question is why?
If we look at ICRP - it is essentially about protecting people against acute
effects or genotoxic effects (germline, teratogenic and/or cancer - mainly
cancer I would say). For other species we could ask - is it about
extermination - or what is the suspected problem?

There are many subproblems involved in this - from a scientific point there
are issues that either can't be answered or will be very costly to answer
(what are the priorities in research etc?). Because the multidimensional
topic - it is easy to be confused and feel lost (what are the RBE values in
a lobster, seastar, bean or kelp etc, etc?).

I will only give you some ideas by picking out a few examples of what I have
read. For instance, regarding endpoints, the following are discussed:
genetic drift (a statistical issue that seems irrelevant, the term is used
for situations where there are say three alleles A, B, and C - suppose then
that the parents have AB and AC respectively and their offspring gets AA and
AB caused by random segregation of germ cells - so the gene C is lost),
chromosomal aberrations, point mutations, induction of mRNA and/or proteins.
The latter three relate to genotoxic effects (OK we may not want cats, dogs,
pigs, cattle or fish to get cancer - but where do you draw the line?).

I say why are endpoints like chromosomal aberrations even discussed if it is
not for genotoxic effects? Are we going to protect roaches against cancer? -
If you don't like the idea - try to define the "good species" and you run
into trouble - I think I referred to this as the "cuteness gradient"
previously (goes from koalas to Plasmodium and bilharzia).

I am interested in contact with Radsafers who are interested in
scientifically based reasoning around these issues (please write me
directly) to make all aspects clear. I have already gone through much more
of this than I have written here (course of evolution, taxonomic criteria
and definitions of taxa, population dynamics, cross breeding barriers and
other topics) and am willing to give these reports some challenge.

If we don't care - we may in the future have to consider a hypothetical
reference organism with an American football shape and then... (I should
stop here but it is easy to imagine what kinds of ideas could be included).
Is any Radsafer aware of any published papers that said "wait a minute"
(contrasting the stuff that is already out there - I gave you some refs.
previously).

The draft report suggests a lot of future research... OK - I'll stop here -
hope no Radsafer dropped dead because of these lines. Please add or correct
whatever needs to be added if I missed anything.

Obviously my reflections not necessarily shared by others,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/