Re: Chernobyl health effects

Another factor that would (in my opinion) call the 40,000 figure into
question is that the Soviets did not keep good records as to who
participated in the clean-up.  Even today, many verterans (in the Ukraine
and in Russia) are being denied assistance because there is no record of
their being at Chernobyl.

In addition, the dose records which were kept are highly questionable as to
their accuracy.  I was told that it was common for the men sent to the roof
to be sent up without dosemeters. They would come down off the roof to be
told their dose was 650 mrem (650 mrem being wome kind of administrative
limit).