Re: Radioprotection of plants & animals

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

> I have read a draft report that deals with radioprotection of other
species.
> It is easy to reject all this as "crazy" and stop right here but I think
> that it is time to look at what's going on.
> The first and most fundamental question is why?

The definition of "health physics" that I learned was "Protection of humans
and their environment from the harmful effects of radiation, while allowing
its beneficial uses." Protection of the environment is unquestionably a
valuable pursuit; extremists in any issue do not invalidate its core ideals
and values. It is correctly the place of engineers and scientists to devote
an appropriate proportion of available resources to this pursuit. The issue
is only what proportion of resources and what extent of effort.

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 322-3190
Fax   (615) 322-3764
e-mail  michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright