RE: Reaching APASE and people like them

Group,

Ruth Weiner wrote,

"Every chemistry lab I ever taught, and all those I knew about, taught safe
procedures and emphasized safety.  One doesn't do this only because it is a
good idea, but because any student who is injured or otherwise harmed in the
lab, even through his or her own carelessness, is likely to sue the school."

I have not taught college classes like Dr. Weiner, however I took a few
chemistry and physics courses in my day and would like to say, at least
where I went she is right.  Every lower division chemistry lab course I ever
took started with a safety lecture, I think many of the upper division ones
did too.  It seems like in the early courses, many of the "Do Nots..." were
punishable by expulsion from the course.

I remember the story told in one of the classes about someone who got a
little acid splashed in the face.  Lab partner did as had been instructed
and grabbed his partner and shoved her bodily into the eye wash and held her
there.  She fought to get her head out of the water.  After the suggested 10
minutes he let her up and her first words were, "my contact lenses!"  We
were told they were recovered from the sink trap and that they would have
been a small price to pay to save her eye sight.

Radiochemistry had the prerequisite of Basic Health Physics.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans
Affairs, or the U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver,
CO 80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business
- vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax
303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to
be excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."
Paul