Re: Dilution the Solution?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 ERGKBAKER@aol.com wrote:

> According to all prior regulatory policy guidance, we have never proposed to
> deep plow contaminated soil to reduce the average contamination levels.
> However, recently I have heard references to situations where the DOE and the
> NRC approved the use of deep plowing as a remedial measure.  If such
> situations exist, could someone provide the details as to location,
> contaminant, depth of mixing, etc.?

	-I question the idea that deep plowing is done for dilution. It
puts a thick layer of soil on top of the contamination and thus acts as
shielding against direct radiation. I believe this was considered in the
Reactor Safety Study or some such study as a measure to be taken following
a severe nuclear reactor accident; it reduces the area of contaminated
land in such an accident.