RE: Reaching APASE and people like them

Peter's story actually illustrates how POOR safety precautions are in
the schools.  The students should have been wearing safety glasses and
working under hoods if they were working with acids.  In an industrial
setting, contact lenses wouldn't have been allowed either.

When I began working in hazardous waste consulting, I was appalled to
discover how  little I had been taught about safe chemical handling in
my academic career.  In college, geology students routinely handled
chlorinated oils with different indices of refraction for ID of mineral
grains (without gloves or even a warning about cross contamination of
food and the need to wash hands afterwards).  In hazwaste settings I'd
have been in a respirator and wearing nitrile gloves and a tyvek suit to
handle these chemicals.  One of my friends had a job to go around to
high schools and audit chemistry storage areas--you would be appalled at
what she found.  Not only alphebetical storage (imagine acids next to
bases), but outdated chemicals, unknowns, and "donations" that included
shock-sensitive materials.  And these problems are still out there in
many schools.

Well a bit off topic, but safety is always timely.

Regards,
Susan

--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee