Re: We are killing nuclear workers!

I believe that the enrichment plants had radiation safety programs.  I also
believe that the best defense of the health and safety record of workerss in
the nuclear industry is to poin out that all the studies (of whch I know)
find the standard mortality ratios (SMR) for workers in nuclear facilities,
including laboratories, production facilities, and nuclear power plants, to
be much less than 1.  I believe that the SMR's for all causes of death run on
the order of 0.8 - 0.9.  Am I correct in my figures?  I also believe that the
next worker to die from radiation in the United States commercial nuclear
power industry will be the first one.  This certainly cannot be said of the
safety record of the fossil fuel generating stations.
                                                            Herman Cember