Re: Depleted Uranium and Leukemia

bcradsafers@hotmail.com writes: yada, yada, yada.

I am not sure if this was meant as a criticism of me. The crazy thing came
from TV.

I know that we are talking about alpha decays from uranium. Concerning the
part on TV - I mainly missed the Geiger counter part and therefore carefully
asked a friend of mine (who is a nuclear chemistry PhD and has 25 years of
experience measuring radioactivity in NPPs) about the details of the TV
program - he saw and heard all the details - if it was true that they had
something like that on TV and he confirmed it. I have no idea about what
they measured and how it was done - since I missed those details. The
general public don't know about penetrance properties of alphas and gammas
and what a Geiger counter can't do. We can however have a considerable gamma
component in our high uranium areas.

The bottom line is that the instrument on TV went high to some sparking
noise and that the TV program put that together with the cancers & leukemias
(I am not the Hollywood expert). I am not too familiar with the "yada yada"
expression (it is not in any of my dictionaries including those with slang)
but it sounds like it is unfriendly.

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com