Healthy Worker Effect

Just to clarify, the healthy worker effect was not invented to debunk hormesis, but is seen in epidemiological studies considering all sorts of exposures.  One of the better studies looked at an apparent protective effect from exposure to vinyl chloride, (Fox, A.J. and Collier, P. F.: Low Mortality Rates in Industrial Cohort Studies due to Selection for Work and Survival in the Industry; Brit. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 30:225, 1976) and showed pretty clearly that it was an artifact of the statistical analysis.  Another good reference is McMichael, A.J.: Standardized Mortality Ratios and the "Healthy Worker Effect": Scratching Beneath the Surface. J. Occup. Med. 18:165, 1976.

Tony Harrison, RSO, MSPH
Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment
Laboratory and Radiation Services Division
(303)692-3046
tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> laldrich@gte.net 01/09/01 09:32PM >>>
Jim Muckerheide wrote, in part,

"Les, IF you are willing to say we are not killing anyone, would you be
willing
to say it in public?  Others?"

Jim,

That's funny.  I thought I just did say it in public.  I'm certainly willing
to say that, based on all the reports I've read concerning radiation effects
and my 34 years of health physics experience, it is my belief no worker in
any nuclear facility in the United States, past or present, has ever been
killed, injured, or seriously inconvenienced by radiation except as a direct
result of an accident at the facility.

It is also my opinion that, in an attempt to explain away hormesis,
researchers who started with a preconceived idea that radiation at low
levels is harmful invented a thing called the "healthy worker effect" and,
in fact, the workers are healthier because of their exposure to low levels
of radiation.

I have expressed my belief that nuclear power and nuclear facilities are
safe places to work (in the early days of my career) in presentations to
junior high and high school classes, in public meetings on nuclear power,
and to anyone who would listen.  Unfortunately, others get all the press
with their fear tactics and misinformation campaigns.

Note that I wrote this from home so there's no question that this is only my
opinion.

Les Aldrich
laldrich@gte.net