Re: Healthy Worker Effect

"Tony Harrison" <laharris@smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us> wrote:

> Just to clarify, the healthy worker effect was not invented to debunk
> hormesis, but is seen in epidemiological studies considering all sorts of
> exposures.

Of course!?  See e.g.,
http://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/RADSAFE/archives/radsafe0101/Auth
or/article-126.html

But it is intentionally misapplied in order to "debunk" hormesis. See,
e.g.,:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/DOE-GAO-WPost%20letters/GAO_Repo
rt-DOE_Misrepresents_NSWS.htm

(in this case DOE misuses HWE for a worker/worker comparison!)

HWE is also misused to ignore large reductions (e.g. ~0.6) where an HWE
would be small (e.g., 0.9), if it were justified at all.  Remember, for
workers in carcinogenic environments, the HWE is overwhelmed by the
carcinogenic effect, and cancers are 1.1+ vs. the general population.
<cut>
> Tony Harrison, RSO, MSPH
> Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment
> Laboratory and Radiation Services Division
> (303)692-3046
> tony.harrison@state.co.us

Les,

OK :-)  Our "public statement," we'll produce a letter (to the new
administration) about DOE's misrepresentation :-)   We have a few
responders.  Thanks.  Will anyone else concur?
See, e.g.:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/DOE-GAO-WPost%20letters/rsh_2-1-
00_ltr_to_sec.htm

and
http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/DOE-GAO-WPost%20letters/rsh_4-8-
00_ltr_2_DOE_IG.htm

(A Nov allegation to the GAO Fraud Unit on DOE's failure to respond is in
process.  Their first stage is to get a response from the affected agency
IGs.)

Thanks.  Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net