Recommendations on Continuous flooring for labs

Group,

I am attempting to get what I consider the proper flooring put in, in a new
research building.  That is I want continuos sheet material rather than the
1 foot square tiles that I have seen in practically every lab I've seen
since graduating from college.  And if my memory was better probably there
too.

In brief, the reason is anything spilled is likely to find it's way into the
cracks between tiles.  In a freshman chemistry class I was told chemists
have a 5-7 year shorter life expectancy due to chronic Hg exposure due to
the Hg from broken Hg instruments finding its way into those cracks.
Obviously I am interested/concerned about radioactive spills but the above
is probably a more serious real concern.

What I am looking for is authoritative guidance/recommendations whether from
HP and nuclear sources or not supporting the need for continuous sheet
flooring.  So far all I have is ICRP 25 which recommends it for medium
hazard labs
[100uCi > amount used < 100 mCi].

If you have any references please respond to me separately/directly at
peter.vernig@med.va.gov.  Please don't reply just to agree or disagree with
the premise, there are 5000 of you and if 1% do that I'll have 50 messages
and no net results.

Thanks to all.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those
of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business -
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax
303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul