From: GRAHNK@aol.com [mailto:GRAHNK@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:23 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Thalium Stress Test

OK,
Here's one for all you medical folks out there.  One of my people (40
year
old male) had a 3 week bout with pneumonia last year.  This year when
exposed
to cold outside air (0 degrees and below) he has experienced some
central
(sternum) chest pain that goes away when he doesn't breathe the cold
air.  He
doesn't have any history or family history of cardiac illness.

His family practice physician (not a cardiologist) has ordered a thalium

stress test.  He's been asking me and we're both wondering why?  It's
not
clear what the doc is looking for.

Does this make sense from an ALARA perspective?  Is there an alternate
diagnostic procedure that doesn't involve radioactive material?  i.e.
echo or
stress echo

If he proceeds with this procedure what might his expected dose be?

Thanks

Kelly Grahn
Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety
West Chicago Field Office