RE: I-129 Sources

To all,

David North is correct about I-129.  When used as a mock I-125 standard, a
little Am-241 is sometimes mixed in to better emulate the I-125
spectrum.  There is an NRC license exemption that reflects
this.  Auto-gamma counter manufacturers usually supply mock I-125 standards
in small test tubes that are similar in size, shape, and counting geometry
to the RIA samples that will be analyzed.  Commercial suppliers like
Amersham used to sell these also.  Regarding Franz's comment about Ba-133,
it is sometimes used as a mock I-131 source, and Co-57 is used to mock
Tc-99m.    All of these are common sources used in nuclear medicine (dose
calibrator testing, gamma camera peaking, etc) and radioimmunoassay (RIA)
labs.  RIA is rapidly being replaced by other techniques.  Here at UIC,
what used to be our RIA lab is now called the ligand immunoassay lab and
they no longer use radioactive materials.  The only RIA test that is still
done uses Co-57 and is sent out to a commercial lab.

Dave Derenzo

At 08:21 AM 1/11/01, you wrote:
>According to NCRP Report No. 58, I-129 is indeed a gamma-emitter, but the
>emission is relatively weak (7.5%). Most of the useful photons are x-rays
>following the prevalent internal conversion after beta-minus decay.
>
>David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
>Associate Physicist
>Department of Medical Physics
>Rhode Island Hospital