Session on I-131 at ACPM's Upcoming Annual Meeting

As individuals with a strong personal or professional interest in
Iodine-131, I want to alert you to a session dedicated specifically to I-131
at the American College of Preventive Medicine's upcoming annual meeting
(Feb. 22-25 in Miami, FL).

The session, "Public Health Implications of Exposure to Radiation from
Nuclear Weapons Production and Testing," will introduce the link between
I-131 released in nuclear testing/weapons production and thyroid cancer, and
then discuss the clinical and psychological effects of exposure to
radiation, recent patient/physician education efforts by the National Cancer
Institute, and the impact of increased immigration of Eastern Europeans that
have been exposed to I-131 into the U.S.

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the
American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM) also plan to release the
highly anticipated "ATSDR Case Studies in Environmental Medicine: Radiation
Exposure from Iodine-131" at the session.

Presenters at the session include Oscar Tarrago, MD, MPH, Robert Spengler,
Ph.D., and Pamela Tucker, MD with the Agency for Toxic Substances and
Disease Registry.  Peter Wald, MD, MPH, with Workcare, Inc., Clare Collins,
MA, CHES, with the National Cancer Institute, and Michael Tuttle, MD, with
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

The session will take place from 12:00 - 2:30 pm on Thursday, February 22
and will be available for CME.  It is possible to attend only the session on
I-131 or to attend more of ACPM's meeting, Preventive Medicine 2001: Science
and Systems for Health.

Please contact me directly at jdc@acpm.org or 202-466-2044, ext. 107 with
questions about the session or for registration information.  Information on
the meeting also can be accessed at www.PreventiveMedicine2001.org.

Please share information on this session and on ACPM's meeting with others
who might be interested, and feel free to post this message on relevant
listservs or discussion groups.

Thanks, and apologies for cross postings.

Jessica

Jessica Cafarella
Health Policy Analyst
American College of Preventive Medicine
1660 L Street NW, Suite 206
Washington, DC 20036-5603
202-466-2044 X107 (phone)
202-466-2662 (fax)
jdc@acpm.org

FYI

Roger Macklin

Roger L. Macklin
Health Physicist
Division of Radiological Health
Tennessee Department of
          Environment and Conservation
Knoxville Environmental Assistance Center
2700 Middlebrook Pike, Suite 220
Knoxville, Tennessee  37921-5602
Phone: 865-594-5579
Fax:       865-594-6105