DOE Army Plant

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/display/inn_iowanews/armyplant.txt

Former Army Plant workers meet with health experts

MIDDLETOWN, Iowa (AP) - Jane Stonger and her sister, Debbie Detherage, were
just kids when their father died at age 56 after a 19-year career at the
Iowa Army Ammunition Plant.

Their father, Floyd Todd, died of Hodgkins disease. The sisters, who live
across the Mississippi River in Illinois, don't know exactly what their dad
did - only that he did it on the Production Line One involving the assembly
and disassembly of nuclear weapons.

They were among about 150 anxious people who met Wednesday evening with
health researchers from the University of Iowa's College of Public Health.

Since late August, they have been trying to determine whether former
employees who worked on the nuclear devices at the plant were exposed to
radiation or other health hazards.

Stonger of LaHarpe and Detherage of Dallas City suspect but can't say for
sure what caused their father's illness. He worked at the plant from 1949-68
and then died in 1970.

That's why the sisters brought a three-inch thick binder neatly organized
with their father's health records compiled by doctors and hospitals as well
as his work records and presented it to the research team headed by Dr.
Lawrence Fuortes.

"Hopefully, we'll be satisfied some day about what happened and we'll have
some answers," Detherage said.

Aides of Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, also attended the meeting, the first of
two this month, as did Rep. Leonard Boswell, D-Iowa, whose district
encompasses Middletown.

"We're very serious about this. I'm just delighted at the effort going on.
It's long overdue," Boswell said.

Fuortes, who presented a slide show at the informational meeting and
answered questions, said his team has determined that there were about
50,000 people who worked at the Middletown plant during the Cold War period.

Of those, an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 worked on Production Line One, he
said.

His team is punching in information - names, addresses, job titles, badge
numbers - of each of the 50,000 workers.

"From there, we have to discern which ones worked on Line One, which ones
are still alive, where they live, and then contact them to offer them
medical screening," Fuortes said, adding the project could take two or three
more years to complete.

The researchers, funded with a $500,000 contract by the U.S. Department of
Energy, have set up shop in southeast Iowa as they work to track down the
former workers.

Nuclear weapons work at the U.S. Army-owned facility, a sprawling
19,127-acre complex located about 10 miles west of Burlington, was overseen
by the now-defunct Atomic Energy Commission.

Questions have now arisen whether workers were properly monitored when the
nuclear weapons line was in operation and whether their health might have
been affected.

Chunks of depleted uranium have recently been found in areas of the plant
thought to have been cleaned up years ago by the AEC when it moved
Middletown's nuclear operations to Amarillo, Texas.

That discovery was made nearly a year after high levels of barium were found
in soil at the northeast part of the plant.

Along with radioactive materials, College of Public Health officials are
concerned that former workers may have been exposed to other hazardous
materials, including explosives, solvents, epoxies and heavy metals.

The Environmental Protection Agency is overseeing a $100 million Superfund
cleanup at the plant, which is not expected to be completed at least until
2014.

H. Hinks
harryhinks@hotmail.com