RE: dose calculations

Tom,

You'll need to be careful in this area.  As an exampe, a NaI detector will
give the dose to that detector, but that detector does not necessarily have
the same energy absorption characterisitics as that of tissue.  This is why
you hear of "tissue equivalent" detectors.  A plastic scintillator could be
tissue equivalent, but the cross section for photoelectric interactions is
so low that it would never be good for spectroscopy.  You'd essentially
probably pick up a compton photon spectrum as the peak and never see the
photopeak.  I've collected some spectrums with Ba-133, Cs-137, and Co-60 on
a waste survey table and the FWHM is "broad" to say the least and would not
work for spectroscopy.  A NaI detector has better photoelectric cross
section than plastic , but still has poor energy resolution such that the
peak search/fit algorithms would have difficulty determining true mean
energies for the photopeaks.  This would be especially difficult in a power
plant environment where many of the energies are close together.  I would
think a semiconductor detector would offer the best resolution and the
detector could be covered with tissue-equivalent plastic.  The size of such
a detector would still probably be pretty small and therefore have a low
efficiency.  In high dose rate areas you might need to be able to handle sum
peaks and escape peaks, but the probability of these reactions should go
down as the active volume of the detector goes down.  Tell us more about
your instrument.

Once you solve all of the tissue equivalent issues, then you'd probably use
the reference that Ted supplied:

ANSI/ANS-6.1.1-1977 (N666) Neutron and Gamma-Ray Flux-to-Dose-Rate Factors

This is the reference we used in college, but I'm not sure if there is a
better reference out there these days.  I haven't doodled with dose response
functions in quite a while...

Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@exeloncorp.com

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corp. proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the  Exelon Corp. family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and
any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.