Re: DU - request for scientific (!) information

Dr. Schoenhofer is quite right.  Uranium is readily oxidized (that's WHY it
is used in weapons) and the oxide is relatively insoluble.  (And, by the
way, I really wish more of our policy makers understood solubility.)
However, particles less than about 10 microns in diameter can be inhaled
past the bronchial cilia and can lodge in the lung alveoli, where they are
irritants.  This is why heavy smokers get emphysema.  I would expect that
someone inhaling a lot of UO2 dust from an explosion would suffer lung
irritation until the particles were cleared, just as occurs on inhaling
large quantities of any very fine dust.  However, uranium, which is almost
all U-238, has such a small specific activity that it is hard to imagine
that there would be any radiological effect.  In fact, cigarette smoke
probably has more specific activity than UO2.

We are facing a larger, serious question, however, and I am at a loss as to
how to address it.  The kind of junk science that is in all this talk about
DU not only gets in the press, people believe it (even for some obscure
reason, good scientists) and we start to get regulation that acts on it.  We
talk largely to each other on RADSAFE and we are mostly of one mind about
junk science, but we must communicate publicly that acting on junk science
is more than foolish, it is dangerous and costly, and diverts both attention
and money from the actual risks that are present in society.  What should we
do?

Thanks for reading the "sermon"

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com