RE: Nuclear Space Prop.

Ed (and all),
I worked at NASA's Lewis Research Center in Cleveland [now the John Glenn
Research Center] from 1963-1973.  There, in the Nuclear Systems Division, we
looked at many space nuclear power and propulsion schemes.  We had the
graphite core NERVA rockets,  the bigger Phoebus graphite core rockets [from
LASL], the open cycle gas core rocket [discharging an interesting stream of
fission products in its wake], and yes, best of all, the Orion scheme, a
putt-putt release of small nuclear devices exploded behind the space
vehicle's pusher-plate to send it on its way.

These were very exciting times!  But what is now interesting is that many of
these ideas are being rediscovered and being considered again.  But
thankfully the Orion propulsion scheme has not been revisited.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Jerry Lahti
Exelon - Nuclear
1400 Opus Place, Suite 400
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Phone - 630.663.6659
Fax: -    630.663.7199
Email -  gerald.lahti@exeloncorp.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Exelon Corp. proprietary
information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright
belonging to the  Exelon Corp. family of Companies.  This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  If you have received this E-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and
any copy of this E-mail and any printout.  Thank You.