Re: Skin Dose Assessment from Whole Body Contamination Meters

Anyone who wants the info related to noble gas skin dose determination through whole body
counting, just send me a note at mlantz33@cybertrails.com or mlantz@apsc.com or call at 623
393 5200.  It is the favorite paper that I've ever written, so I jump at the chance for
others to read it.  I just wish Emergency Planning people would ever catch on to its value:
like, determining skin dose and external deep dose too ---- like knowing that frisker alarms
on people may not be due to iodine, but more likely caused by Xe (so KI won't help).  Other
ideas too, but they never ask.

I have detailed all of the EDE questions that Stewart has asked about; that part being
clarified in the ICRPs. My retention curves merely confirm the previously-determined minor
internal components. The question of whether the PCM alarn is caused by noble gases only is
one of the reasons we have so many whole body counts - i.e., looking for other
radionuclides.  With Co-58 and Co-60, as Stewart has noted, being the dominant ones.  We
aren't big scrub supporters because of the philosophy that some facilities utilize:  that
they aren't clothing contaminations.  Too long a story, but we find that >99% of our alarms
during these gas events are pure NG.  But what you have said is what we do, along with a
shower.  CM-7 100 cm2 friskers, PCM's, showers, whole body counts.

So bottomline, it works well.  Even as a bounding condition - that they passed the
contamination monitor so they must have incurred less than 20 mrad. for example.  But its
major value has been in determining doses where repressntative sampling was generally almost
impossible - gas puffs.

Mike Lantz, CHP