Re: Skin Dose Assessment from Whole Body Contamination Meters

Mike, et. al.,

The measurements and expanded modeling you described seems most helpful to
the industry.  And, being unable to attend Midyear, I would appreciate
copies, as appropriate and available.  For skin dose calcs, the approach you
developed provides a great tool.

One of the concerns I was looking at was how to confirm that the PCM alarm
was solely attributable to noble gases, that was the reason for the expanded
modeling with MCNP to examine detection capability of the BNC NaI detector.
During our testing, we had an interesting situation where an individual
alarmed the portal monitor.  A measurement with the BNC detector (1 minute
count with detector on chest) showed mostly Xe-133, but there was also a
Co-58/60 component.  Removal of scrubs eliminated the cobalt.  Further
examination identified the scrubs as having a very-low Co-58/60 contamination
spot, but low enough to pass the screening done for re-use.  This type
measurement, coupled with a frisk survey to eliminate potential skin
contamination (i.e., elevated measurement with a thin-window GM detector at a
discrete location versus generally disperse, elevated measurements) provides
reasonable assurance that the alarm is solely attributable to the noble gas
retention.

I was also curious about the actual EDE due to retained noble gases in the
fat.  There is also a muscle component but at a much lower level.  Linking
the Peterman model in Radiation Protection Dosimetry for determining  time
dependent body/organ contents and MCNP modeling of the standard man model,
and application of weighting factors, an EDE could be calculated.  This
modeling can also be applied to other noble gases, such as radon and argon.
This may have already been done, but I am not aware of it.  (Help from any
sources out there is appreciated.)

Stewart Bland
410-266-9174