Re: High natural background radiation areas

The ICRP 60 explain  such concept: "Both equivalent dose and effective dose
are quantities intended for use in radiological protection, incluing the
assessment of risks in general terms. They provide a basis for estimating
the probability of stochastic effects only for absorbed doses well below the
thresolds for deterministic effects. For the estimation of the likely
consequences of an exposure of a known population, it will sometimes better
to use absorbed dose and specific data relating to the relative biological
effectiveness of the radiations concerned and the probability coefficients
relating to the exposed population"

About Monazite, please GO TO
http://www.galleries.com/minerals/phosphat/monazite/monazite.htm

In this site it is also interesting to learn that "The name monazite comes
from a Greek word, monazein, which means "to be alone". It is an apt name as
it is an allusion to the typical crystal habit of primary origin for
monazite as isolated individual crystals in phosphatic pegmatites. Solitary
crystals all alone in a dissimilar crystalline matrix. The name does seem to
fit."

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel