Re: Two DU articles with a different slant

Franz,

         The significance of the articles that I posted is simply that
there is a bit of new information out there regarding health effects of
ionizing radiation that I though might be of interest to the HP types on
this list..  I mentioned DU in the subject of my post because the new
information was reported in the context of the DU controversy.  To take the
single particle/cancer connection out of the context of DU, here is the
abstract of the study report from the UK Radiation Research Society (Note
that i added the word alpha in square brackets where the original abstract
used a graphical alpha character):

Radiation Research: Vol. 155, No. 1, pp. 122126.

Long-Term Genomic Instability in Human Lymphocytes Induced by
Single-Particle Irradiation

M. A. Kadhim, S. J. Marsden, and D. T. Goodhead

MRC Radiation and Genome Stability Unit, Harwell, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0RD,
United Kingdom

A. M. Malcolmson, M. Folkard, K. M. Prise, and B. D. Michael

Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust, P.O. Box 100, Mount Vernon Hospital,
Northwood, Middlesex, HA6 2JR, United Kingdom

  AbstractKadhim, M. A., Marsden, S. J., Malcolmson, A. M., Folkard, M.,
Goodhead, D. T., Prise, K. M. and Michael, B. D. Long-Term Genomic
Instability in Human Lymphocytes Induced by Single-Particle Irradiation.

   Recent evidence suggests that genomic instability, which is an important
step in carcinogenesis, may be important in the effectiveness of radiation
as a carcinogen, particularly for high-LET radiations. Understanding the
biological effects underpinning the risks associated with low doses of
densely ionizing radiations is complicated in experimental systems by the
Poisson distribution of particles that can be delivered. In this study, we
report an approach to determine the effect of the lowest possible cellular
radiation dose of densely ionizing [alpha] particles, that of a single
particle traversal. Using microbeam technology and an approach for
immobilizing human T-lymphocytes, we have measured the effects of single
[alpha]-particle traversals on the surviving progeny of cells. A
significant increase in the proportion of aberrant cells is observed 1213
population doublings after exposure, with a high level of chromatid-type
aberrations, indicative of an instability phenotype. These data suggest
that instability may be important in situations where even a single
particle traverses human cells.

KeywordsNo Keywords Available.

© Copyright by Radiation Research Society 2001

http://apt.allenpress.com/aptonline/?request=get-abstract&issn=0033-7587&vol
ume=155&issue=01&page=0122

As to my being associated with an anti-nuclear organization, I indeed am
anti-nuclear.  I understand your not wanting to engage in discussions with
people who don't agree with your views, so I surely do understand if you
don't reply.

Dave Pyles

At 04:30 PM 01/24/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:10:53 +0100
>From: "Franz Schoenhofer" <franz.schoenhofer@chello.at>
>To: <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Two DU articles with a different slant