Re: fluoroscopy exposures to physicians?

While I can't share actual data from our records, I can assure you
that the typical monthly exposure for those who wear a collar badge
(and sometimes a chest badge under the lead apron), the dose to the
collar for the vast majority exceed 1 rem exposure. In many cases,
the QTD and YTD doses exceed the regulatory dose limits established
in state radiation program regulations. Only through the use of dose
weighting calculations, such as the Webster or Niklasson dose
weighting, can they be considered within the dose limits imposed by
regulatory statutes. Of course those states who are not agreement
states, and have not adopted the annual dose limits and other
philosophy, the physician, while they can calculate an EDE and remain
below regulatory limits, they still have a problem with dose to the
eye, in that dose weighting does not apply to the eye (lens dose
equivalent) nor the skin (shallow dose equivalent). In essence, the
eye dose, which is equal to the whole body dose, in the states where
there is no annual LDE, always exceeds the 1.25 rem/qtr. Another good
reason why all states should adopt the annual limits for DDE, LDE and
SDE.

As far as correlation of this dose to cancer .. well, that's another
interesting item for epidemiologists. I would hypothesize that the
data suggests no correlation, or else we would have heard lots about
this already.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandyfl.nukeworker.net