Re: US Energy Dep't cites nuclear lab over safety

Let me correct some misimpressions.  First of all, the people who work for
DOE -- the bureaucrats (NOT a term of opprobrium), the contractors, the
consultants -- are people, just like you and me.  By and large, they are
ethical and honest, and at the level they are working, they are not being
forced by anyone "up there" to lie, if only because "up there" doesn't pay
attention to details.  For the record, I did not see anywhere near the
degree of deliberate distortion working as a DOE or NRC contractor as I saw
when I was an insider in the environmental movement.

The Office of Inspector General of DOE, like that of the IG for any federal
agency is, in fact, independent of the rest of the agency.

Most of the people doing the technical work are contractors, not direct
employees of DOE.  The National Labs are "government owned, company
operated" (GOCOs) and are no more interdependent with the DOE IG's Office
than the citizens of, say, Albuquerque are with the Albuquerque police
department or municipal court.

Re specifically the NRC regulation of DOE:  in the case of Yucca Mountain,
NRC is by law (Nuclear Waste Policy Act) the regulator of DOE, and the
protections against conflict of interest are stringent to the point of being
Byzantine in some cases.  NRC is almost more careful about conflicts with
DOE than about conflicts with the utilities, whom they also regulate.  I'm
not saying it's a perfect system -- far from it -- but the "fox guarding the
henhouse" scenario that some try to project on to this system is not
accurate either.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com