Re: How DU was used in the production of Pu

	This does not explain how the Pu and U-236 got into the gaseous
diffusion plants. You say that they simply provided the enriched uranium
to make the new fuel for the production reactors.
	It also does not explain how plutonium got into the DU stockpile
for military use. Presumably the latter came from the gaseous diffusion
plants (GDP).
	It seems to me that the Pu and U-236 must have come from using
uranium derived from reprocessing spent fuel in the GDPs. There was
essentially no spent fuel from commercial power plants reprocessed. I
believe the naval reactor spent fuel was reprocessed -- and then probably
re-enriched; could this be the source? Or is it possible that after the Pu
production reactors were shut down, the residual fuel went to the GDPs?
This would seem to be inefficient since this residual fuel would be
somewhat depleted and therefore less useful than natural uranium for GDP
production of enriched U.
	If these ideas are not right, can someone explain how the Pu and
U-236 got into the GDPs?

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh