Re: Radium on watch dials

Wayne

I think that, if I were to be concerned about something, it wouldn't be the
radiation emitted by the watches, it would be the possibility of paint
flaking off the dial, and eventually escaping the containment of the watch.
To me, this would particularly be a concern if the watch were opened for
repair. Does anyone on Radsafe think that it would be a poor idea, when
working on such a watch, to wear light gloves, and perhaps use an
impermeable, absorbent pad, of the kind readily avaiIable in drugstores
(see the incontinence aisle). After work, the pad and gloves could then be
folded up, and thrown away. As a long term storage issue, I also wonder
what there might be in the way of radon emanations.

The indispensable book Environmental Radioactivity, by Eisenbud and Gesell,
fourth edition (1997), page 318, gives a radium content, for men's watches,
of 0.01 to 0.36 microcuries (uCi). So, if one had a hundred of them on
hand, one could have a radioactive materials inventory of 1 to 36 uCi.

I'm not quite sure how to put this amount of radioactivity in proper
perspective. But, e.g., people's yards have been excavated, and the spoils
shipped off for burial in special disposal sites, because the top six (6)
inches of soil contained average amounts of radium equivalent to, say,
0.00001 uCi per gram (10 picocuries). Or, the owners of a laboratory, or
industrial facility, where work had been done with radium, would be
required to demonstrate (at least) that the physical plant was free of
nonremovable (i.e., fixed, as, stuck to the floors or walls) contamination,
to an average level of no more than 0.00005 uCi per 16 square inches.

On the other hand, ordinary Brazil nuts (which I love) naturally have an
amount of radium equivalent to 0.0005 uCi per pound. This is another
delectable datum from Eisenbud and Gesell, page 147 (though they are not
responsible for my errors in converting units).

The bottom line is that I would treat the watches with some respect, most
especially if they are to be repaired. Are those the sounds of a posse of
Radsafers loading their weapons?

Cheers
cja

P.S. Eisenbud also states that the watches weren't sold after ~1968, in the
USA, but that the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements
(NCRP) estimated, in 1977, that ten million of them were still in use.