RE: In Flight Radiation

Matt Williamson wrote

"I don't know how to address the consumers or if it necessary.  Frequent
fliers get more exposure than the occasional flyer.  But so do the folks
living in Denver.  Is Denver more than 100 mREM greater than the 360 mREM
average and are they informed of the increased risk?  Are the consumers
informed about the risk of crashing prior to purchasing an airline ticket?"

My copy of NCRP 94, gives a rounded total background of 300 mrem/y EDE and
8.1.1 indicates that the total background  EDE for Denver is about 50%
higher than the national average.  So that would be about 150 mrem/y EDE
more here.

Please feel free to stress or exaggerate the excess of "deadly radiation" in
any presentations.  Our roads and other infrastructure, are not meeting the
challenge of all the people moving in.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans
Affairs, or the U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver,
CO 80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business
- vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax
303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to
be excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."
Paul