In Flight Radiation

Yesterday, Feb 5th, NBC News (NY-TV) ran the story found at the link below;

http://www.msnbc.com/news/365093.asp

Dr. R. Barish from NYC has his link to solar activity and increase in
exposures, etc.
He also did an on air interview.  The article is about informing people.  A
few comments;
I agree that flight attendants and pilots, as part of their training and re
training, should be provided information on cosmic exposure and risk.

I don't know how to address the consumers or if it necessary.  Frequent
fliers get more exposure than the occassional flyer.  But so do the folks
living in Denver.  Is Denver more than 100 mREM greater than the 360 mREM
average and are they informed of the increased risk?  Are the consurmers
informed about the risk of crashing prior to purchasing an airline ticket?

It sounds Nader-ish to provide the risk of cosmic exposure to consumers.  I
recall his (Nader) philosophy to inform consumers on the history of the
plane, it's age, it's mechanical record, etc. prior to boarding.  One could
take it farther to get the information on the performance history of the air
traffic workers in each of the towers.

With Mr. Barish's resource on-line and a little searching, I think a
concerned consumer could find the necessary information to give him/her a
warm fuzzy before flying.  One airline worker was shown wearing a Luxel
badge.  That's what he's doing to ensure he's safe.  I'm interested if Luxel,
film or TLDs are NVLAP accredidted for high energy particles that could be
encountered in air flight.

Matt Williamson
cabrerany@aol.com

PS to Dr. Barish - thanks for handling the Failla funds in an expedient
manner.  My wife likes an up to date / balanced check book.