Re: Radiation - net benefit or detriment?

>There is an article (probably Mutation Research and for a mammal - cannot
>remember which - maybe humans) where the number of point mutations in
>somatic cells are shown as a function of age.
---
Several people asked me about the underlying reference. It was easy to find
via Medline (see the abstract below). Please observe that there are several
steps involved - induction -> repair processes -> final result (for instance
chromosomal aberrations).

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com
"Measurement of spontaneous and X-irradiation-induced
6-thioguanine-resistant human blood lymphocytes using a T-cell cloning
technique.

Vijayalaxmi, Evans HJ, Mutat Res. 1984 Jan;125(1):87-94.

Lymphocytes separated from human peripheral blood were cultured in vitro, in
the presence of 6-thioguanine (TG), to select and clone rare TG-resistant
(TGr) cells present in the circulation in vivo. The incidence of such TGr
cells ranged from 0.83 X 10(-5) to 2.53 X 10(-5) (mean 1.48 X 10(-5) ) in
healthy individuals aged between 19 and 79 years; did not differ between
males and females; but increased significantly with age at a rate of 2.4
cells/10(7) lymphocytes/year.

Exposure of lymphocytes (G0) in vitro to X-ray doses of up to 200 rad
resulted in a dose-dependent increase in TGr cell frequencies. The rates of
increase were approximately in proportion to the square of the dose and
these rates were closely similar to those obtained in cultured skin
fibroblasts and suggest that the bulk of these mutations are a consequence
of chromosome structural aberrations. The cloned TGr cells are considered to
be HPRT- mutants and the mutation frequencies in lymphocytes determined
using this cloning technique were compared with the variant frequencies
obtained in earlier experiments utilising an autoradiographic technique to
detect azaguanine-resistant (AGr) variant cells. Mutation frequencies with
the cloning technique were 10-20-fold lower than variant frequencies with
the autoradiographic method.