Re: Hormesis?

Mr. Muckerheide,

Why bother?

I am just trying to figure out what you are saying in comparison to articles
like this.

Environ Health Perspect 2001 Jan;109(1):41-45 Books

Risk of Cancer in an Occupationally Exposed Cohort with Increased Level of
Chromosomal Aberrations.

Smerhovsky Z, Landa K, Rossner P, Brabec M, Zudova Z, Hola N, Pokorna Z,
Mareckova J, Hurychova D

The National Institute of Public Health, Prague, Czech Republic.

We used cytogenetic analysis to carry out a cohort study in which the major
objective was to test the association between frequency of chromosomal
aberrations and subsequent risk of cancer. In spite of the extensive use of
the cytogenetic analysis of human peripheral blood lymphocytes in
biomonitoring of exposure to various mutagens and carcinogens on an ecologic
level, the long-term effects of an increased frequency of chromosomal
aberrations in individuals are still uncertain. Few epidemiologic studies
have addressed this issue, and a moderate risk of cancer in individuals with
an elevated frequency of chromosomal aberrations has been observed. In the
present study, we analyzed data on 8,962 cytogenetic tests and 3,973
subjects. We found a significant and strong association between the
frequency of chromosomal aberrations and cancer incidence in a group of
miners exposed to radon, where a 1% increase in frequency of chromosomal
aberrations was followed by a 64% increase in risk of cancer (p < 0.000). In
contrast, the collected data are inadequate for a critical evaluation of the
association with exposure to other chemicals.