Re: CAM Question

Dave,
     My experience in power plants and decommissioning is that 'monitoring'
is usually only used in areas where respiratory protection is NOT worn.  I
think the key is "to detect and provide warning of airborne radioactivity
concentrations that warrant immediate action to terminate inhalation of
airborne radioactive material".  If you are already taking protection
measures, CAM is not needed and is probably redundant if you are doing grab
samples.  The only restriction I would put on this would be, if you had
reason to believe that your airborne levels could change rapidly to levels
that could defeat your mask protection factor.  But even in such a
circumstance I would simply step up my grab sample frequency.  Most CAMs
have a five to thirty minute response time to gradual changes.  I would
HOPE that your health physics people could recognize something that could
cause a step change in levels and act accordingly.

Basically, if your are doing mask entries continue to perform grab samples.
Put your CAM outside the area to monitor your boundary and undress areas.
It will do you the most good there.  If you are determined to use a CAM
inside your mask areas I would look into Eberline's AMS-4 system.  The
sample 'head' can be remote from the monitor and electronics to minimize
equipment contamination.

Good luck
Phil

"Just my humble opinion, my boss has nothing to do with that"

Philip Barringer
Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment
785-296-6342

                    Dave Biela
                    <BielaD@wvnsco.com        To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    >                         cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     CAM Question
                    radsafe@romulus.eh
                    s.uiuc.edu

                    02/20/2001 22:24
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

This question deals with a DOE requirement in 10CFR835, but I would like

10CFR835.403(b)
Real-time air monitoring shall be performed as necessary to detect and
provide warning of airborne radioactivity concentrations that warrant
immediate action to terminate inhalation of airborne radioactive material.

How do you apply this?  Do you have a CAM for all mask entries?  If not,
when do you decide that you need to have it?  If you use a CAM in all mask
areas, what type do you use and how do you keep them clean enough to
re-use?

We are getting into some highly contaminated areas, alpha and beta and we
are trying to determine how to apply this.  We sample during ALL mask
entries, but this calls for MONITORING.

Send information directly to me at:

BielaD@wvnsco.com
716-942-4423